Wednesday 30 July 2014

Work in Progress: Orc Shaman gets some colour and a base

Hello again (or for the first time in which it should be welcome).

I've recently realised that when I paint my miniatures that my order of painting has changed a fair bit. I've started to base coat large parts of the miniature now, which is how I first learnt may moons ago, but the bigger change I've noticed is I now build and paint the base first. I used to always leave that till last, partly so I wouldn't get paint on it, but also because I didn't really enjoy it. Now, and this is completely due to blogs like Massive Voodoo (yes, I know, mentioning them again. Which if you have ever had me respond to a "how do I" question, MV is often my 'go to' source of amazing tutorials and ideas).



Always amusing painting stones to look like, well, stones. But this was a first as I was also painting plant soil to look like dirt, and lentils to look like toadstools. Go figure.

As for Nazgob himself, trying to mute colours and keep the Brian Froud earthy tones I'm finding to be tricky. Maybe once I have a few highlights going it may start to slot into place. For now though, this is where I'm at with him.



So loads to do but learning a fair bit about colour mixing in ways I've not tried before (which has mostly been the GW style), but it'll be nice to have more techniques in the old arsenal.

On another note entirely, I may have got a little excited with the latest Infinity: Operation Icestorm unboxing vids doing the rounds and it's looking like I'll be gaining a lovely Panoceania starter thanks to an old friend. See how that all turns out.

Till next time, hope you're having fun with the little people and may your brushes stay pointy.

No comments:

Post a Comment