Monday 21 July 2014

New projects: Nazgob and Seamus in the starting blocks

It's that exciting time again. I've been thinking about it while finishing up my last miniature (which is always distracting and often causes me to not finish things properly).

Now this is more two separate projects as I couldn't completely decide. The first, and the one which has been distracting me the most, is the old Games Workshop (GW) Nazgob Orc shaman miniature which I have sitting in a box for more years than it should have.

The thing that has got me thinking the most is more why I have decided to paint this out of all the other options.

Firstly, it's a fantastic model by Brain Nelson who is one of my favourite GW sculptors of all time. Plus it's not in a typical aggressive or casting pose. Just him and his huge bone staff. I've also been wanting to try and build a display base on a socket but had the idea of using a piece of tree branch (the on in the picture is from a cherry tree) for something a little different. Now, I've never built any display bases before so this will be a learning experience which got me a little excited.

Secondly, I've always had a soft spot for goblins. Likely thanks to an aunt introducing me to Brian Froud artwork at an early age (think I may have been around six). And you can't deny that Labyrinth and Dark Crystal are amazing films with so much character. I also grew up loving film effects, especially the animatronic and puppet side with other films like Alien, Willow, Conan, and obviously Ray Harryhausen films (which I know were stop frame animation but still incredible).

Thirdly, I came across a few YouTube videos by Scott Naismith who talked about colour theory including hue and saturation. Which got me thinking.

I'm going to try to paint Nazgob in desaturated colours using Brian Frouds artwork as a colour pallet guide. For example:


The second project is more for gaming as I keep reading about Malifaux and want to give it a try. That and I've had the Seamus crew for a couple of years and only painted one Rotten Belle. Coming from a background of almost exclusively painting GW miniature, it was a bit strange painting a Steampunk Horror zombie hooker, but the change was good. Think it's time the crew master gained some colour really.


I'll paint the Copycat Killer at the same time too as they'll have almost identical colour schemes.

Well, it's been a longer post this time with more to say. Hopefully I'll have a good update for you soon. Till then, happy painting.


Little update on Nazgobs base.

No comments:

Post a Comment